Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to

So it was just my birthday. I'm 29 (because I know that you wanted to know). My birthday this year was totally lackluster.

1) It was a Tuesday
2) I was depressed (not about my birthday)

Anyway, it got me thinking about my best and worst birthdays.

Worst - 19. Nothing happened. I think my roommate got me a cake at the store but that was it. No going out, no fun time, maybe a present from my mom.

Best - 23. So Hurricane hmm, remember to google this Isabel was going to hit the Virginia Coast and since my best friends parents lived on Long Island (Isabel target #2) she evacuated herself to Knoxville. She always said it would take a Hurricane to get to Knoxville and it did.

Now I don't know how or why we decided I needed to have a monkey themed 23rd birthday party (drink much?) but we did. We printed out lots of pictures of monkeys and posted them up in my apartment. We also bought drink mixers and replaced all the recommended liquors with 99 bananas. That's right 99 bananas IN EVERYTHING! You could have a cosmo-monkey or a slut monkey or a monkeys naval.

I recall a few things about that night. I was quitting smoking because I said I wouldn't smoke past graduation, I recall this caused me to act out. I do know I wore my door wreath on my head at some point. I also bit a guy on the ankle.

See I was getting my MBA and my laptop was out and my friend (a classmate) was on it chatting with another classmate and pretending to be me. I tried to stop him and he put his hand on my head and smooshed me to the floor (yeah, you try to fight someone after you've had 97 of the 99 bananas) and so since I was down there I made a strategic move and bit his ankle. This is the only incident in my adult life that I have bit someone, I am much more of a slapper. Anyway, once you bite someone's ankle there is really no competing with that.


What is your best/worst birthday story?

2 comments:

reneejv said...

In the week before my 20th birthday I had been dropped by 1 boy I was dating (for the sorority sister who set us up), and gently blown-off by another guy (now my hubby!) So my girlfriend, a certain Jen, went with me to get a big bucket o' chocolate ice cream, in which to drown my sorrows. We stopped to get gas on the way back to my apartment. I was pumping gas at midnight. At the exact moment that it was officially my birthday, the gas pump went bizzurq, blanked out, and tipped me over the edge into tears. But we made it to my apartment and spent long hours trashing the male gender and eating ice cream, so all was well by the time the sun rose on my birthday. Thanks, Jen! Too bad you you weren't with me when I traveled to an alcohol awareness conference in South Carolina on my 21st birthday...that was the worst!

Jen Vogel ('Azraa) said...

That is when I wore my red dog pajamas to South Beach!